Rules of procedure
Friday, 05 November 2010 19:07
APPROVED by directive no. 10 of the President of the Republic on 17 January 2007
1. The Academic Advisory Board of the President of the Republic (hereinafter Academic Advisory Board) is an advisory body to the President of the Republic (hereinafter “President”).
2. The purpose of the Academic Advisory Board is to provide consultation to the President for the exercising of the President’s constitutional duties.
3. The functions of the Academic Advisory Board are the following:
3.1 to analyze, in cooperation with other advisory bodies formed by the President, various walks of life, and on the basis of the conclusions drawn, to develop recommendations for their balanced development;
3.2 to promote cooperation and mutual understanding between scholars, cultural and society figures, politicians, officials, and representatives of non-profit associations and foundations in resolving problems of importance to Estonia;
3.3 to raise publicly issues that require more in-depth discussion and if necessary, to publish relevant materials.
4. The members of the Academic Advisory Board shall be appointed and released from their position by the President.
5. For the purpose of more thorough preparation of topics in different spheres, the Academic Advisory Board may form committees and working groups, the work of which shall be led and organized by an adviser to the President or another public servant from the Office of the President.
6. The work of the members of the Academic Advisory Board and its committees and working groups shall generally not be remunerated.
7. The format for the Academic Advisory Board shall be a meeting taking place in the presence of the President. The meeting has a quorum if at least one-half of the members of the Academic Advisory Board are present.
8. The meetings of the Academic Advisory Board shall be convened by the President. The agenda and date and time of the Academic Advisory Board meeting shall be set out at the preceding Academic Advisory Board meeting. Issues shall be included on the agenda at the proposal of the President and the Academic Advisory Board members.
9. The Academic Advisory Board meeting shall be chaired by the President or a Academic Advisory Board member authorized by the President.
10. The recommendations, proposals and decisions of the Academic Advisory Board shall be developed and adopted by the participants in the meeting on the basis of solidarity.
11. Minutes shall be kept of the Academic Advisory Board meeting, and shall be sent to Academic Advisory Board members. The minutes shall be kept on file at the Office of the President.
12. At the proposal of the Academic Advisory Board, experts may be invited to the session to deliver presentations, present positions, provide information and to take part in discussing agenda items.
13. On the basis of decision of the Academic Advisory Board, forums, seminars and other information events may be organized in matters pertaining to the functions of the Academic Advisory Board.
14. The public shall be kept apprised of the activities of the Academic Advisory Board. Documents approved at Academic Advisory Board meetings shall be published.
15. Costs of technical services and operating costs of the Academic Advisory Board shall be borne by the Office of the President.